Saturday, August 20, 2005

Little revolutions

They say that once you learnt to, you never forget to ride a bicyle ever again in your life.

Today was my turn to find out. Having sold off my bicycle (stupid decision) about 6 years ago (possibly anticipating the anti-cycle city that Pune was to turn into), I haven't bicycled ever since. So I was understandably a little worried as to how the legs would take this change in lifestyle.

It was pouring zoological specimens when I went to ("The Red and White Cycle") shop to buy one. I was therefore spared the humiliation of falling off the seat in front of the local Tour-de-France suppliers. Out of sight and the rain and in the cycle parking in the basement, I jumped on and promptly wobbled. Worst fears were taking tangible shapes.

The plan was chucked in favour of doing it on the road at a rain-less time. Which arrived and I was on it out for a spin, and voila! there we were pedalling.

Slightly liberating feeling. The legs have had it easy for a while. The time has come for them to turn into galley slaves.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

:)Nice post!
PS: U know Pune is the only Cycle-conscious city i have been in..wen i was in COEP a lot of ppl in my class/batch along with students from other colleges went for this use-cycles drive..huge thing it was with abt 150 odd ppl cycling thru the city with slogans! :)

10:41 PM  
Blogger Abhishek said...

i think i will happen top a lot of us sometime, and yes I won't sell my cycle...

11:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fastest process to unlearn bicycling is.

Try to pull a (tri)cycle rikshaw for half an hour each for two days. Your natural sense of balance will lost, though not forever.

Next time when you will ride a bicycle, you will have a hell of difficulty in finding balance.

Source: Personal experience.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home