Friday, November 11, 2005

Anecdotal evidence

Gaim over
It turns out that Gaim (I'm using the version on Debian) is a suction pump (or a vacuum cleaner depending on how you want to put it). For it can allow you to add a user id with no real existence and IM that person. Presumably I was connected to some IM black hole.

For several days now, my attempts to contact a friend on an id have been futile and faced with lack of response, I remember thinking: "How rude!" :-). It turns out I had mistakenly edited the id but without any complaint from Gaim, I was blissfully shouting into an hole with a dead-end. It only struck me yesterday that I should check resulting in discovery.

Social networks cause social tensions. {Disclaimer: I haven't checked if this problem has been fixed at Gaim - I don't want to bash it - it's quite decent actually.}


The vaaTi-ka story
It's 2 o'clock in the afternoon yesterday and I've just plonked myself on the lab mattress for a quick catnap (cause: earlier excesses) when Mayank and Naval decide to go for lunch. Tummy growls over circadian rhythms, so I decide to join them. We go to the slightly shady (according to me - my first time there) Uphar near the Y-Gate where there is no printed menu and everything is verbal (germane to this post).

MisaL paav and a thaaLi are ordered for a group lunch. While that is in progress, we wonder if we should get something more. Which is when we hear a waiter-voice :

"Daal (garbled)BaaTi(/garbled)"

It sounded a little like "roTii", so we listen again for more. This time it is:

"Daal (more clearly)BaaTi(/more clearly)"

Now I have heard a bit about this "daal baaTi" thing but haven't been able to taste it yet. Our current location seemed a very unlikely place for such dishes, but since we didn't ask for the menu, who knows? maybe we missed it. So one order goes out for it.

We're still wrapping up the thaaLi when the waiter comes over and drops a small cup of daal on the plate and mumbles something (the chronic problem), which also sounded like "Daal BaaTi". It takes quite a few clock ticks for it to sink in. Both my non-Maharashtrian friends were clearly stumped. It was a classic homophone - this was what we call a "Daal VaaTi" here ("VaaTi" : "kaTori").

That provided us enough laughs for the rest of the day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Solzaire said...

and you seriously scared me for a minute

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember the first time in the office canteen, where i saw the vaati - "only one vati per head", took it, also ate it, then i asked my colleague, "the vati tastes good, what is it made off ?" :)

Hari

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home