Saturday, November 05, 2005

Diwali break

* They should outlaw 7 day breaks (it could easily have been a 9 day break, but you want to crucify me?). Outlaw because you spend the 1st 2 days legally enjoying it, the next 2 days go in weighing the possibilities of squeezing more legality out of the break and promising the big effort in the next 3 days (assignments/projects/books/vanquishing aliens). Then a day in ruing how much time was lost over the last 4 days and on the last day, a firm desire to cling on as such a day will not come back again.

Strange to say this, but I was actually missing the work, the fun and the atmosphere by the end.

* Diwali is essentially when you ought to celebrate the greeting-card-steroided-Mother's Day. Major effort by moms all round the place to get the sweets and savouries in place. How they have the stamina is beyond me.

* Each year, it seems that the amount of crackers being burst in Pune (based on a sample of my neighbourhood) keeps coming down. I do the nominal sparkler only. Having never really had the bomb-mania (except for some varieties), I lost interest a decade ago. So I quite like what Abhishek has been upto.

* My window to IIT-B lingo before getting here was via Satyen ("khaach"), Parikshit "Pari" Samant ("dayaa") and Anupam ("kyaa fart hai"). Standard argot like "give up", and "pain maaranaa" seeped in easy, but I found myself saying "dayaa" at the last BCQC session (without anyone really noticing) inadvertently. I still have mixed feelings about that word, but I think I will be "dayaa max"-ing soon. From there it's a step to Vinod Khanna land and "daya-van-der-hoogenband".

* Last Sunday, Nik showed me another undocumented Pune eatery feature called "Janasevaa" (which is probably well known to all Laxmi Road denizens, but was out of my radar). A spicier version of "saabudaanaa khichaDii" was had followed by "khama.nga kaakaDii" (which I have had before, but not under this name). Earlier, he showed me the "Vaagzai" area behind Parvati. Tells me that there is so much I don't know about the city (and given my memento-esque memory in these matters, I'd forget anyway). Nikhil, if you read this, visit SIGFOOD which was started by Shantanu - there's a lot you could contribute to there.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ramu, next time you visit , ?????? try ????? . Also note their intricately designed timetable. You won't get X on mondays, and thursday evenings, while Y can be only had on Saturdays and Wednesdays that fall on even date, and so on.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home