Friday, December 09, 2005

This time it's personal

I'm breaking a long held convention of not talking about my birthday on my blogs, but this blog was meant to take the weight of such vachan-cessations. So here goes.

This time's birthday was obviously different as it was the first (that I can remember)to be spent outside home. Which leads us to the obvious inference of the traditional ife-on-campus thrills being applied. The mob gathered 5 mins before the a.m. bell strikes and proceeded to politely exercise their feet. I got a free facial soon after (not before managing to eat my part of the bakery produce). And 15 mins later since some of those who had been keen to put foot to gluteus m had missed out, an encore was sought and obtained. It's been a long while since I've been "bumped", so I actually enjoyed it all.

Coming to the more existential thoughts that a birthday is supposed to trigger (as opposed to blowing it up with TNT), the last few years, I've preferred to look upon it as a personal new year at best. Quiet contemplation perhaps is in order and my wish is for it to pass off peacefully (as if it was an anniversary of the worst kind, we have many of them - I wish if anyone thinks of it that way). I try and not make any concessions for the day if I can help it. This time it gave me a reasonable excuse whenever I was slacking for the exam on the day after - it's a very useful weapon for structured procrastination. More opportunities for not looking at the books was provided by my habit of replying to all greetings if I can help it. Strangely enough, the hostel mess even had "paayasam" that day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tejaswi said...

And I thought it was business as usual.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

:)
I was planning to write a bday blog for myself too...
Its my 5th bday away from home and each of the past 5 wud hv been in a diff city..

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A belated happy birthday to you!

10:04 PM  
Blogger daemon said...

Ah! a creature of the cold..;-)
Belated Happy b'day. U have still 2 more to enjoy (as always) ;-)

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home