Sunday, August 27, 2006

One flying over the...

Mails, Announcements and other communications from the Hostel-12 council members always start with "Dear Inmates". I may be a linguistic bigot of some kind, because I don't like the word "inmate" applied to me. The dictionary seems to suggest "inmate" is merely a resident of a dwelling, but then this is the same language that has words such as "cleave".
(I'm a lot more suspicious than you can imagine.)

To me, "Inmate" suggests resident of a prison or asylum. I'll get one of these places one day, but right now let me revel in my minor crimes and misdemeanours in the open, sweet air. Or issue me striped uniforms and aluminium cutlery for banging against rods.

(I'm a lot more imaginative than you can suspect.)

2 Comments:

Blogger @m@r said...

Funny as HELL :D

ps: Self-reference unintended :P

10:57 AM  
Blogger Ajay said...

Agree - I heard the word 'inmate' being used for residents of a vriddhashram . *shudder*.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home